Wednesday, December 4, 2013

White Chili

Chili is delicious, but I've made the red chili already this season at least half of a dozen times. So this weekend, I decided that I would shake it up a bit and try to make a chili that was spiced with black and white pepper, rather than red. I had a few potatoes left from a giant bag I bought a few weeks ago and had been wanting to find a recipe for some yellow split peas, so I decided that I'd try to make a white chili. And it turned out well!

My white chili has yellow split peas, white beans, potatoes, butternut squash, and a base of cauliflower. I was really excited to use the yellow split peas because they are a source of complete protein, as are the white beans! Split peas also are a good source of oxalates and are known to stabilize blood sugar, like other legumes. I use pureed cauliflower as a base because of the antioxidants and other benefits of cruciferous vegetables.


White Chili

2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 bag frozen cauliflower
1/2 bag frozen cubed butternut squash
1/2 bag frozen sweet white corn
1c dry (~2c cooked) split yellow peas
1c dry (~2c cooked) white beans
3.5c water
1 cube vegetable bullion
black and white pepper
smoke seasoning
garlic
dash basil and cinnamon
nutritional yeast to top

1. Cook the split peas and white beans by boiling them in a large pot of water or in the crock pot. This can take upwards of an hour, so have something else handy!
2. Microwave the cauliflower until tender. Transfer to food processor and process for a minute or so, it doesn't need to be completely smooth.
3. Peel and cube potatoes.
4. In a large soup pot, add the 3.5c water and dissolve the bullion cube. Add pureed cauliflower, corn, and potatoes.
5. Add spices and peas/ beans when they are ready.
6. Let cook until potatoes are tender, and flavors are infused.
7. Serve warm with a dusting of nutritional yeast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment