Friday, December 6, 2013

Pumpkin Oat Waffles

Happy Friday! It's almost the weekend, which means it's almost time for brunch! I've shared my favorite recipe for a basic Belgian Waffle, and most times that I make brunch, we just make the basic recipe and branch out with our toppings. Well, this weekend, I was mourning the beginning of the end of pumpkin season so I decided that I had to make a pumpkin themed brunch. I was going to try a vegan pumpkin french toast recipe, but I've never had good luck with french toast that doesn't have eggs (well, actually the very next day I came up with a delicious vegan french toast). But anyways, I decided that I would make pumpkin waffles. Oat flour does a great job with pumpkin (the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are fantastic with oat flour!), so I decided that I would make gluten free pumpkin waffles. The oat flour adds a nice rustic flavor to these and I even managed to slip in some protein powder. I'm currently using a complete rice, pea, and hemp protein from Life's Basics (vanilla, unsweetened) and it's doing pretty well. Hope you enjoy these pumpkin waffles!


Pumpkin Oat Waffles

1 2/3c oat flour (finely food processed quick cook oats)
1/3c vanilla unsweetened protein powder
2T cornstarch
2t baking powder
2T brown sugar
generous amounts cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
2T vegetable oil
1c pumpkin puree
1c vanilla almond milk (or soy)

Mix the dry ingredients, and then the wet. Add batter (~1/2c for a belgian sized waffle) to your greased waffle iron and cook according to your iron's directions. Top with maple syrup and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment