Friday, October 18, 2013

Gluten Free Oreos

Happy Friday! I'll admit... I've been holding out on you guys. I made these gluten free oreos two weeks ago, but am only sharing the recipe now! That's mostly because I have been wanting to talk about amino acids, micronutrients, and all of that other good stuff that powers your workout and day. This post contains none of that type of information and simply was created because I really wanted oreos (Trader Joe's GF Joe-joes to be precise), I wanted to share them with my gluten-intolerant roommate, I didn't want a ton of fake ingredients, and I did not want to shell out the $4 that the box would have cost for the good stuff at TJ's. Thus the recipe was born!! Consensus is that it's a keeper. The cookies are softer than traditional chocolate sandwich cookies, more like a delicious hybrid between oreos and whoopee pies. As usual for my gf treats, the recipe uses an oat flour base and is vegan. (Reminder: flax seeds > eggs. They also keep longer.)


Gluten Free Oreos

Chocolate Cookies

1c oat flour (I explain how I make it in this post.)
1T cornstarch
1/3c cocoa powder
1/4c brown sugar
1/2t baking powder
dash cinnamon
1/2c vanilla almond milk
1/4c canola oil
1/8t vanilla

Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, mix oat flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. Drop spoonfuls onto a grease baking sheet. Bake for 10- 12 minutes, until cookies are crispy around the edges.

Vanilla Icing

2T Earth Balance soy-free buttery spread
1/8t vanilla
1 1/2 c powdered sugar, plus 1T
2T vanilla almond milk

Cream earth balance and vanilla. Add sugar in half cup increments. After last 1/2 cup is added, add the almond milk to thin it out. 

Put it Together: Don't be impatient... let the cookies cool! Then spread one cookie with a generous amount of icing and top with a second cookie. Enjoy immediately, or wait a few hours to let the icing set.



No comments:

Post a Comment