Monday, January 13, 2014

Tomato Basil Soup

There's nothing more comforting than a grilled cheese sandwich coupled with a warm, creamy bowl of tomato soup. Trader Joe's Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup is incredible and has long been a staple in my cupboard. Consequently, it one of the things I was most disappointed to learn included milk when I started to cut down on my dairy intake. Dairy inhibits iron absorption and I also found that I'm really sensitive to my hormone levels and the extra hormones found in dairy are very unwelcome. I've spent a long time trying to find a way to balance the acidity of the tomatoes without the use of milk and believe me, it's tough! I'm not a big fan of cooked tomatoes by themselves, and I found that soy and almond milk add too much of their own flavor, and sometimes even precipitate out due to the acidity. Recently, I discovered that adding chickpeas to soup can add a nice smooth flavor. So I figured I'd give a tomato chickpea soup a go. Coupled with the familiar flavors of basil and garlic, this soup is a success! I hope you give it a go the next time you're craving tomato soup.


Tomato Basil Soup

3 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2c water
1 bunch fresh basil
1T garlic or 1 clove
sea salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Food process until smooth. (I used my new Ninja blender for this and it turned out great!) Transfer to the stove and heat. Serve warm, alone or with your favorite grilled cheese. (Yes, it goes well with toasted cashew cheese sandwiches too!)

1 comment:

  1. i used the chickpea trick in roasted squash and pear soup this weekend and it worked out well. I have tons of tomoatoes that I canned but never end up using b/c I reach for dehydrated ones more often when cooking so this recipe seems like a natural to try in my quest to prepare tasty drinkable soups w/ protein for driving home after skiing (and for driving up to the mountains on fridays after work!)

    ReplyDelete