Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Kale Chips

Guys, today I need your help! The Virtual Vegan Potluck is approaching and I have no idea what I should send in! I need to create a new recipe for it, and I'm stuck as far as which course I'm best at... I was thinking I'd create either an entree or dessert. Thus far, I feel like my most creative recipes were my Savory Squash Pie and my White Bean Gingerbread Blondies. To that end, I was thinking I might create another supper pie? Or maybe another bean dessert? I was even thinking to keep it classic and make a soy-free pumpkin pie (bean based) but I think that recipe would be overlooked in its simplicity. And should I use the featured ingredient, beets? What recipes have you liked best and would like to see more of? I'd love your input!

While you're thinking about that for me, I'll give you some food for thought... kale chips. Kale is a real superfood, delivering a ton of fiber, calcium, potassium, and vitamins A, C and K. Kale also contains a ton of polyphenols and carotenoids, which are potent antioxidants that protect your body from free radicals. The best part is, kale chips are wildly simple to make in your oven, no dehydrator necessary! The chip form is a great way to enjoy this superfood, especially if you're craving a crispy, salty snack. The only problem with the oven-made version is that it doesn't stay crispy in storage, so you'll just have to eat them all at once. I promise that won't be a problem with these chips! More often than not, we have to make a second batch because the first batch disappears so quickly.


Kale Chips

1 bag kale
splash olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350F. Throw the kale in a bowl, splash some olive oil on top and add some salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Transfer to a greased baking sheet  and cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 5. Remove from the oven when crispy, and watch carefully because they are not as delicious when they are burnt!


As you can see, kale chips are even hammy approved! My hamster, Bijou, ate the chips with such enthusiasm that I couldn't even steal a picture of her stuffing her cheeks with them. The raw kale took her longer to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment